[cups.development] notifiers and subscriptions

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jun 21 07:20:12 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 09:38:05AM -0400, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:
>
> Right now the subscription code allows you to create a subscription
> with any notify-recipient; it uses the scheme portion of the URI
> to determine which notifier to run in the /usr/lib/cups/notifier
> directory.
>
> >Also with regard to subscriptions, the documentation is not very
> >clear about what can be done and if the actual behavior can
> >be extended in some way without recompiling CUPS or not.
>
> We implement the IPP notification spec with additional event
> names, which are documented in the IPP implementation help file:
>
>     http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ipp.html

I've read this doccument, but it doesn't contain "notify-recipient"
so it's hard to guess.

I've created a subscription manually, but the Create-Printer-Subscription
documentation doesn't explain how we are supposed to pass the notify-recipient
IPP attribute.

Also searching for "notify-recipient" with the above URL's search box
gives nothing at all. Same with http://localhost:631/help/, searching
for "notify-recipient" gives nothing.

Is there some additionnal help ?

> Such things can be done now.  Look in the notifier directory of the
> CUPS sources - the "testnotifier.c" program can be used as the basis
> for your own notifier.
>
> I would also recommend reading the links I provided as well as
> chapter 19 of the current CUPS book, which explains how notifiers
> work and breaks down the current mailto notifier...

I'm ok to purchase the CUPS book, but does it really cover this
aspect of things ?

I ask this because the website indicates "1st edition" and if I look
for this book at Amazon, it says that this edition dates from 2001,
at a time where to the best of my knowledge CUPS didn't support notifications.

Also if I click on the "purchased" link on www.cups.org/book/index.php
the price listed on this page and the page we land on is not the same,
so I think maybe there are 2 different books...

So are there 2 different editions of this book ?

Where can I purchase the latest edition which includes documentation
about subscriptions ?

Thanks in advance

Jerome Alet