MASSIVE bug in 1.2.1

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jun 21 08:34:46 PDT 2006

Peter <merlin at th.if.uj.edu.pl> wrote (Wednesday 21 June 2006 16:06):

> Hello Kurt,
>
>> Hmm... I can't believe somebody who runs Debian and compiles
>> packages on his own is so un-imaginative [..]
>
>  woa! a lot of flame out there:)

Sorry, I forgot the smiley  :-)

>> That should help you find the decisive hint how to enable that
>> "format's" printing.
>
>  the raw printing *is* enabled it allways was, basically nothing
> changed (i am talking right now about binary distr) only
> the upgrade to 1.2 from 1.1 turned the whole idea of a print
> server useless, since the printing for us here refused to work.

So this happened on Debian.... which one? And .deb packages from
"testing" or "experimental"?

>  and it still does. simple upgrade, no greppig in sources up to now,
> and i recive unsupported format error.

And you are really sure that after upgrade the mime.convs/types
files where the way they should have been? And that they had
"application/octet-stream" as a supported format?

Can you print the same file with "-o raw" locally?

Also, from your description of the problem, it is not exactly
clear what your clients where, when they printed to the 1.2.1
CUPS server: CUPS 1.1.23 clients? Windows? Windows with Samba?
Windows with IPP? Windows with LPR/LPD backend? Unix, using LPR/LPD
as a backend?

>  as to build from sources, i still do not know what was wrong
> with that, the only time i can check it is when i put all
> the ptinters down and that can be done around midnight, on
> saturday, preferably during christmas vacations, when not
> more than a couple of people are trying to print something.
>  any way thanx for reply. i still hold to it: 1.2.1 does not
> work when installed from binary packages on debian. (for me)

It did for me when I tried. (But I don't have access to that
system right now).

>  best regards
> pg

Sorry again, Peter :-)