Bumps TODAY's completed, then oldest completed?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 10 05:48:40 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:
> For survival purposes, I track CUPS stats closely. Mid-December, our
> CUPS job counter went past 1,000,000 (sign in front "Over 1 million
> CUPS jobs served"  ;-) ).

Congrats!

> Even so, the dates & math don't add up. CUPDS.conf doc states that
> oldest completed jobs are replaced first when MAXJOBS limit is
> reached. For us, my thinking is that when maxjobs is reached, CUPS
> first replaces TODAY's oldest COMPLETED jobs, and THEN proceeds to
> the back of the Q and replaces oldest completed jobs (the backend
> does slowly disappear).

CUPS 1.1.x removes old jobs in the priority then job-id order, i.e.
the order they were inserted in the queue.  That might mean that a
newer job will get purged before an older job if the older job has
a lower priority - in general, however old job-id's get removed
first.

(In CUPS 1.2 we have a separate cups_array_t to hold the active
jobs in priority + job-id order, and the main jobs array is only
sorted by job-id, so jobs are *always* removed starting with the
lowest job-id first now...)

That said, I'd be interested in seeing an "ls -l /var/spool/cups"
from your system (maybe post a URL, the listing will be pretty big)
to see what is going on.