RasterToEcpX Softweave Lower Quality

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Fri Mar 10 05:53:10 PST 2006

Anonymous wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the RasterToEcpX code - with the 'stphoto.ppd' + the
> attributes from the sample 'r300-colorman.drv' - for Epson Stylus
> Photo R200.
>
> Surprisingly, the softweaved output produces perceptibly worse
> results at 1440*1440 dpi than the microweaved one at its maximum
> 720*720 dpi.

Can you post the .drv or .ppd files you are using?

> There is the apparent crude pattern-jumble of rather large dots and
> 'speckles' on the produced images.

This could be a dot size issue or perhaps a color issue.  Will need
to see the .drv file to know for sure.

> Besides, it looks like it tends to print too many times over the same
> spot - virtually flooding paper with ink and blurring out the printed
> image - and gets only somewhat tolerable - but still blurred - at 0.3
> ink limit.

The Epson printers can put a lot more ink than the paper can take,
that's for sure.  However, the only places where the driver won't
feed a bunch for each pass is at the top and bottom of the page.
Otherwise, it should look like the printer only partially filling
the page with ink for each pass.