[cups.bugs] Re: [MOD] STR #1487: rpmbuild fails on x86_64

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Wed Mar 15 07:06:49 PST 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
[...]
> >Shouldn't the RPM macros %{_lib} and  %{_libdir} be even better?
> >See for example
> >http://www.redhat.com/magazine/009jul05/features/multilib/
> >"Build-time issues"
>
> Those don't handle multiple-arch builds, which is what we support for
> x86_64 (among other platforms).  Life in the mixed 32/64-bit world is
> a bit more complicated, unfortunately...

Sorry to disagree, but Johannes seems to be right.

Using %{_lib} or %{_libdir} is the correct way to use a architecture
independend way in the specfiles.

If you call "configure" with option "--libdir=%{_libdir}" it should be
enough at compilation time. Globbing in the Files section of the
specfile later via
  %{_libdir}/*.so
should work either.

We don't have any problems any more at SUSE since we use those macros
consistently, and this is done since a long time now.

Btw: its really scary to see how often a simple "/lib" is used without
noticing that it is used architecture specific, and doesn't work on
bi-archs -- at least not as wished. The pam configuration of cups is a
good example, but some vendor specific init scripts are either. :-)

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel