Unsuccessful "make"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Mar 16 13:01:33 PST 2006

Alvaro wrote:
> This is Alvaro Gonzalez, a total beginner to CUPS. I'm following the instructions of the book for installation. I first installed all the required libraries, but when trying to run the "make" part of CUPS installation, I ran into the next error:
>
>> What version of CUPS are you trying to compile?
> CUPS 1.1.23
>
>> What version of MacOS X are you using?
> MacOS X Version 10.4.1

>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com
>
> Thanks a lot Mr. Sweet!,

No problem.

OK, since MacOS X 10.4.x dropped some of the libraries from 10.2.x
(they are available with the 10.2.x compiler/SDK, but not with the
default 10.4.x compiler/SDK), you'll have difficulty compiling CUPS
1.1.23 on 10.4.

The easiest thing to do is download CUPS 1.2 from www.cups.org, or
the latest CUPS source code from Apple's open source/Darwin pages.
Both downloads have the necessary changes that allow CUPS to compile
on 10.4.x.