[cups.bugs] Beta nad rpmbuild

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Tue Mar 21 02:34:10 PST 2006

Russbucket wrote:
> if I download the correct beta tar file and use rpm build as described on
> your website will I be able to build a SUSE 10.0 version? I'm stiil trying
> to get my Epson cx6600 to print ps jobs. They abort. I saw a couple of cses
> with the range check error which was discussed on the general and the
> group. I never did see a solution, but I noticed the beta fixes some
> pstoraster or pstops problems. lpr and lp work fine to the printer thru
> cups, as OpenOffice prints to the printer thru cups. Scribus and KDE will
> not. I have completely reinstalled my total OS, but the ghostscript that
> came with it is 8.1.5rc1. I was told the later versions may not work
> because SUSE may customize them.

Yes, we had enhanced CUPS. :)

In general: I don't think that I added anything special to the CUPS
code, which makes it unuseable with 1.2betaX. You might be able to
build the 1.2.x by yourself.

But I fear that the old CUPS 1.1.x configuration files don't work any
longer with latest 1.2.x version. You might want to delete them or
better move them to a backup directory, :) and then reinstall CUPS
from the beginning.

I'm not 100% sure, but YaST might be to close to the 1.1.x. There are
chances, that YaST is no longer capable to administrate CUPS 1.2.x
Your configuration has then to be done by commandline tools, or by the
build-in webinterface.

Regarding your Epson CX6600: this printer is compatbile to the Epson
Stylus C85, which is mostly compatible to the EPSON Stylus C84. So,
please try out the gimp-print driver for the "EPSON Stylus C84".
I'm unable to guarantee that your printer works with this driver, but
give it a try.

> Any help would be great, by the way my HP LaserJet iiiP works fine with the
> installation I have.
>
> Thanks again and maybe I can help test by using a version on SuSE 10.0

I'm not ready with the adaption of CUPS 1.2.x, as the code has changed
much. But I hope that I'm able to provide the SUSE versions of CUPS
1.2.x, short after release. My intention is that those version should
be mostly compatible with the versions we provided of CUPS in the
past. But a 100% compatible version is not possible, as for example,
the RunAsUser option in the configuration has gone.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel