[cups.bugs] Cannot print to jetdirect port 9101 (Fedora Core 5+cups-1.2-0.1.b2.3 + Gutenprint 5.0 Beta2)

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Mar 25 18:41:40 PST 2006

Miles Lane wrote:
> On 3/25/06, Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
>> Miles Lane wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to get Cups/Gutenprint to print to my Epson Stylus
>>> Photo R340 which is connected to the USB port of my Airport Extreme
>>> wireless access point.  I am able to print to this printer with both
>>> Apple's OS/X and Windows XP.  A recent firmware upgrade for the access
>>> point changed the jetdirect port from 9100 to 9101.  This has turned
>>> It seems to me that "192.168.1.1.jetdirect" should be
>>> "192.168.1.1.9101".   When I previously tried to get this all working
>> If you look in /etc/services, you'll probably see jetdirect listed
>> multiple times for 9100, 9101, and 9102.
>
> Nope.  Jetdirect is only assigned to port 9100, so this is the same
> problem I had before, where my nonstandard port selection is
> being ignored my Cups.  In other words, Cups is not using port
> 9101, even though I specified it in the socket definition.

Highly unlikely, as the socket backend uses the httpSeparate API
which returns the port from the URI, if supplied.

Try doing a tcpdump without name lookups (-nn option) to see the
raw port numbers.

>>> with the gimpprint stable drivers, instead of seeing
>>> 192.168.1.1.jetdirect, I saw 192.168.1.1.9100.  Neither the 9100 or
>>> jetdirect ports are getting output from my printer.  How can I fix
>>> this?  Is this a CUPS or gutenprint bug?
>> Neither, it is probably just that the access point may not be using
>> the JetDirect "protocol"!
>
> As I said before, Windows XP and OS/X print to this port fine.
> I am certain that the jetdirect protocol is supported.
>
>> Best thing to do is post a question to the Apple "printing" mailing
>> list - go to "http://lists.apple.com" to subscribe.
>
> This isn't an Apple problem.  So, any ideas why this is failing in Cups?

You are printing from Apple's version of CUPS to an Apple print
server, which makes it an Apple problem.