[cups.bugs] Cannot print to jetdirect port 9101 (Fedora Core5+cups-1.2-0.1.b2.3 + Gutenprint 5.0 Beta2)

Miles Lane miles.lane at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 01:16:35 PST 2006

On 3/26/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alright.  I will try ripping out Ubuntu's CUPS and building from the latest
> development source snapshot.

I gave it my best shot.  I removed all the CUPS stuff, built/installed
espgs-7.07.1, gutenprint-5.0.0-rc2, and cups-1.2rc1.  Unfortunately,
Ubuntu is configured to
disable the root account.  I guess they hacked their own CUPS admin code
to work with regular users.  I have tried to set this up, but I continue to get
permission denied when trying to set up printers, etc.  Could one of you
point me to a slightly modified cups.conf file that enables me to specify my
user account as permitted to admin the CUPS server?

Thanks!
         Miles