Unsuccessful "make"

Alvaro alvaro at udel.edu
Tue Mar 28 09:13:25 PST 2006

> Alvaro wrote:
> > This is Alvaro Gonzalez, a total beginner to CUPS. I'm following the instructions of the book for installation. I first installed all the required libraries, but when trying to run the "make" part of CUPS installation, I ran into the next error:
> >
> >> What version of CUPS are you trying to compile?
> > CUPS 1.1.23
> >
> >> What version of MacOS X are you using?
> > MacOS X Version 10.4.1

> >> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
> >> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com
> >
> > Thanks a lot Mr. Sweet!,
>
> No problem.
>
> OK, since MacOS X 10.4.x dropped some of the libraries from 10.2.x
> (they are available with the 10.2.x compiler/SDK, but not with the
> default 10.4.x compiler/SDK), you'll have difficulty compiling CUPS
> 1.1.23 on 10.4.
>
> The easiest thing to do is download CUPS 1.2 from www.cups.org, or
> the latest CUPS source code from Apple's open source/Darwin pages.
> Both downloads have the necessary changes that allow CUPS to compile
> on 10.4.x.

Thanks again for your help Mr. Sweet.

I followed your recommendation and was able to successfuly install CUPS in a G5 MAC with OS 10.4.1 by upgrading CUPS code version. Then we purchased a new MAC Mini for our group, and this one comes with OS 10.4.5. I downloaded the latest CUPS code version, namely cups-1.2rcl. Unfortunately, I'm running again into a compilation error after the "make" command, and it's got to do with the same missing file of the first time. Here's the complete text describing the error:

/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
lipo: can't figure out the architecture type of: /var/tmp//cc3QhUh8.out
make[1]: *** [libcupsimage.2.dylib] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Do you have any idea as to what I might be missing this time?