[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1647: Please restore the usb:/dev/whatever syntax option

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at arklinux.org
Mon May 1 05:29:58 PDT 2006

[STR New]

SSIA - while I see why the new syntax is superior for most situations,
there are some reasons to keep usb:/dev/whatever as an additional option:

1. Some 3rd party software (such as our hotplug printer handler) generates
this syntax, and getting the manufacturer/device code out of a hotplug
event is harder and more error prone than just looking at the device ID.

2. I haven't looked deeply into 1.2 yet, but there doesn't seem to be a
way to address a specific printer w/ the new syntax if 2 identical
printers are attached (not exactly a common case, but the situation does
exist -- e.g. one printer printing a huge document while the other takes
care of letters)

3. Less migration pain for users who write their configs manually

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1647
Version:  -feature