Proper place to make suggestions?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue May 2 17:32:43 PDT 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> * the default behavior should be to discover other printers on the
> network if they are created in shared mode;

Um, this *is* the default.

> * an attribute of a printer should be if it prints face up or face
> down; for face up printers, there should be an option to print from
> last-to-first page, and this should be the default;

Um, this information *is* already available in the PPD file, and there
is already an option for the output order (OutputOrder=Reverse)...

> * I've noticed that even though the margins of a printer are exported
> to clients, that a lot of applications such as "enscript" ignore
> these and print in the margins anyway.  Is this a short-coming of
> enscript, or of CUPS for not making detecting the margins easy, or
> both?

enscript is the culprit here...

> * I sometimes find myself in the situation where I try to print a
> document, but it just ends up sitting in /var/spool/cups but it isn't
> clear why the job is blocked;

Have you checked the web interface or "lpstat -p" output?

> * sometimes a print job will be converted to Postscript at the
> client, but the remote end (where the printer is attached) won't
> detect the Postscript correctly and starts to print it out as text;

We'll need to know more details about the configuration; at first
blush I'd say that the client is either sending the file as
application/vnd.cups-postscript or application/vnd.cups-raw.

> Is there a good mailing list to discuss all of this?

For Fedora-specific packaging issues, I would start on redhat.com.