[cups.development] Globalized PPD Support

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 3 06:28:08 PDT 2006

Florian Festi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Are there any tools/printer dialogs/ppds that support the "Globalized
> PPD Support" extention (described at
> http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ppd.html) yet?

The CUPS web interface supports it, and I would imagine that KDE
and GNOME will have support shortly since they just need to add
one function call (ppdLocalize) to support it...

> Are there any message catalogs that could be used to generate localized
> PPDs? Or in other words: What is missing for a completely localized
> printing system?

The CUPS DDK (current trunk code) already has some of the needed
bits, and will have more of them over the next several weeks.  In
particular, we already have message catalogs for French, German,
Italian, Japanese, and Spanish that cover the common options.

We will also be providing a ppdmerge utility that will allow you
to combine multiple single-language PPD files into a single multiple
language PPD file (hope that makes sense... :), and the PPD compiler
(ppdc) will be updated to support generation of multiple-language
PPDs.