[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1661: USB printer not working on Linux with current SVN

Diego Pettenò flameeyes at gentoo.org
Sat May 6 13:09:11 PDT 2006

[STR New]

After upgrade to CUPS 1.2svn, I've been unable to print on my USB printer
(Kyocera-Mita FS-1020D).

CUPS shows the error message: "Printer not connected; will retry in 30
seconds...", while the usb backend "DEBUG: LPGETSTATUS returned a port
status of 18".

The printer works perfectly on the same identical setup if I downgrade to
1.1, either with the original 1.1 printers.conf or by re-adding the
printer (yes I readded the printer on CUPS 1.2, too).

I'm not sure if this is related, but it sounds like so: on CUPS 1.1 the
printer has the uri usb://Kyocera/Mita%20FS-1020D , while if I add it
again in CUPS 1.2 I get usb://Kyocera/FS-1020D , discarding entirely the
Mita part.

I'm afraid both cups doesn't handle correctly brand names that have spaces
in them, but I'm not sure how to make sure of that.

uname: Linux enterprise 2.6.16-gentoo-r6 #1 PREEMPT Wed May 3 03:09:20
CEST 2006 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ GNU/Linux

AMD64 architecture, Gentoo Linux.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1661
Version: 1.2-current