[cups.development] Questions regarding "make test"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 10 11:17:43 PDT 2006

Fujinaka, Todd wrote:
> Does anyone have a handle on how many of the programming interfaces are
> tested by the standard tests? LSB needs a way to make sure all the
> required interfaces are working, and it's usually easier to take
> upstream tests rather than rolling our own.
>
> Before I started looking into this, I figured it might be easier to ask
> if someone else had looked into this already.

"make test" exercises most of the low-level (ipp*, and http*)
functions and tests all of the commands, which use both the low-
level functions and some of the higher-level functions - mainly
the destination functions (cupsGetDests, cupsGetDest, cupsFreeDests),
option functions (cupsAddOption, cupsGetOption, cupsFreeOptions,
cupsParseOptions), and cupsPrintFiles().

There are unit tests for *most* of the CUPS API and CUPS imaging
API already written (look for the "test" programs under the "cups"
and "filter" subdirectories), however we don't include those in the
"make test" suite at present = that will probably change in CUPS 1.3.

I'll be happy to work with you to define a common API test suite for
the LSB-included APIs and use it in the standard CUPS build process.