[cups.development] What is "Convert" ? What is its role in CUPS ?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed May 17 02:57:27 PDT 2006

Sanjay Mishra wrote:

> We are trying to save PostScript generated by our program. We are using
> CUPS pictwpstops filter as not all of our code are complete Postscript.
> When I run this a number of times then sometimes "convert" is shown as
> zombie. How and when this convert is called? Who calls it? What it does?

This is better asked on the Apple printing list - pictwpstops is an
Apple-specific filter, so they'll be able to help you more then we.

FWIW, using the old LaserWriter print path isn't recommended - Apple
provides newer print APIs that will allow you to generate PostScript
and embed the necessary fonts easily, all without involving the old
MacOS 9 print interfaces.