OS/2 port of CUPS

Paul Smedley paul at smedley.info
Wed Nov 8 21:02:14 PST 2006

> Paul Smedley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on an OS/2 port of CUPS.
> >
> > Currently, I have printing to postscript printers over lpd working
> > perfectly to my Laserjet 4M.
> >
> > I'm now trying to get printing working in PCL mode, so have setup the
> > laserjet 4M with laserjet.ppd.
> >
> > I have two problems in pcl mode:
> >
> > 1st - printing .txt or .ps files I get rastertohp exiting with status 1
> > after pstoraster exits with no errors.  Should pstoraster output debug
> > messages when debug or debug2 logging is enabled? I see debug from
> > texttops for eg, but nothing from pstoraster.
> >
> > 2nd - secondly, printing a .png ends up with only the top 4cm or so of
> > the page printing, with a very thin line of text at the bottom of the
> > page, the remainder of the page is white, except for an a with a caret
> > (ie ^ above it) in the lower RH corner.
> >
> > Any ideas? So far the patches for OS/2 support are pretty minor.
>
> Binary vs. text mode on the stdin/stdout pipes?

That was my first guess too - however it doesn't seem to make any difference.  What mode should the stdin/out pipes be?  OS/2 will default to ascii.

If this was the problem I would expect imagetops to also fail - but this works perfectly.  Images are in binary format, ps is ascii.

Is there a way I can check the output of imagetoraster to see that the raster generated is valid?

Investigation last night seems to show that the parameters aren't being passed from pstoraster to gs correctly (ie the %stderr, %stdout) - at least when I changed %stderr to a filename - I got no output in that file.  Of course, pstoraster called from ash (ie ash pstoraster <testprint.ps >output 2>errorlog) works correctly.

Cheers,

Paul.