Cups + Gutenprint + Epson Stylus Printer = problem

tong suntong001 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 11 13:14:04 PST 2006

Hi,

The followings are my observed problems using Cups + Gutenprint for my Epson
Stylus CX1500 Printer.

- When configuring via the web interface, at the step that chooses the Make
and Model, the *given* default "EPSON Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.2", is not
right. Nothing get printed if I accept it. The right one, I found for my
Epson, is "EPSON New Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.2", notice the word "New".

- lp -o saturation=0 does not work.

A color saturation of 0 should "produces a black-and-white print", but I
find my printer still prints in color. Moreover I think the
"-o brightness=150" does not work either.

 lp -o saturation=0 -o brightness=150 /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps

- printed color is wrong.

Only magenta and yellow color is printed, no blue/green. Moreover the yellow
color is shifted down about 2~4mm.

 lp /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps

PS. my environment (Debian Testing, same printer worked fine in Debian Sarge):

 Location: USB Printer #1
 Make and Model: EPSON New Stylus Color Series CUPS v1.2
 Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
 Device URI: usb://EPSON/Stylus%20CX1500

Package:

 cupsys_1.2.5-1
 cupsys-bsd_1.2.5-1