[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2119: configure search directories for shared libraries

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Nov 23 13:04:58 PST 2006

Bernd Krumböck wrote:
> Hi!
>

> Following seems to work:
> If +b is not used the linker embeds some default paths (some of them come
> from gcc?) + every library path (-L).
>
> So we can use "-L libpath -L libpath -Wl,+s" instead of "-Wl,+s,+b,libpath".
>
> The attached patch file is not useable for anyone (because other patches
> needed), but shows the differences better.

First, that behavior is significantly different than what is provided
on HP-UX 11.00, which only uses the library paths if you pass "+b:".

Second, doing so is not safe since we are using:

     -L../cups -lcups

to link to the CUPS library in the CUPS executables.  That would
mean that "../cups" would be bound into the search path for libraries,
leading to a significant security hole in your binaries!