Cupsd as normal user

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Nov 28 07:25:13 PST 2006

Hello,

I see that Cups 1.2 does not work as a normal user. I need that, because I use FreeNX. In FreeNX you connect to a remote machine, but printing is on your local machine. So cupsd is started for every user on a high port, and is connected to a tunnel to my home. IPP_PORT can be used to tell the applications to use your private cupsd. I see only my own printers.

I can understand that it's maybe better to run cupsd as root, but for this special case I would like an option to run cupsd as a normal user. I don't need many options, a raw printer queue is enough.

Is that possible?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.