error codes for suspended printers

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Oct 4 10:56:25 PDT 2006

Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am implementing power management for usb printers in the kernel.
> Which error code should be returned if CUPS tries to write to a suspended
> printer?

ENODEV would work with the current USB backend that uses the printer
character device - that would trigger the automatic retry after a
certain amount of time.  The kernel would need to wake the printer
up, however.

That said, USB backend development on Linux is moving towards the
user-mode USB API, so you might want to look at STR #1575 and build
on that:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1575