Providing globalized ppds in Mac OSX

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Oct 4 18:17:01 PDT 2006

Debashis wrote:
> Hi,
> While trying to install a printer in Mac OS 10.4, I thought of this idea. I am sure you guys must have already thought about this but just in case...

For Mac OS X 10.4.x, nothing like this will work as there is no
infrastructure for it.

For Mac OS X 10.5 and beyond (i.e. CUPS 1.2 and beyond), vendors can
supply "driver interface" programs which provide virtual PPD files,
either generated locally or downloaded via the Internet.

In addition, CUPS 1.2 supports PPD files with multiple language
localizations.