[cups.development] How to avoid disabled printers ?

Markus.Grunwald at pruftechnik.com Markus.Grunwald at pruftechnik.com
Thu Oct 19 04:31:08 PDT 2006

Hello,

I have ported cups (1.1.23 - old, but we have no possibility of using a
newer one) to our embedded (arm) device which works quite fine now. But I
have one mayor problem now:

When the user tries to print when no printer is attached to the usb device
and then lprms this job, the printer becomes disabled:

printer foo-lj4 disabled since Oct 19 10:30 -
        Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device

So the user has to enable the printer every time when this happend which
can be quite often on a portable device that is not always connected to a
printer. This is bad twice:

1) it is annoying for the user
2) The user doesn't have a fancy webbased front end to cups so it gets
complicated

Now my question : Is there any way to get around this ? Any possiblilty to
keep the printer always enabled ?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Markus Grunwald
Softwareentwicklung