[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2054: %%EOF and %%EndDocument should not be appended %%EOF and %%EndDocument should not be appended to the PostScript document

Graham Freeman g-freeman at adfa.edu.au
Wed Oct 25 19:06:20 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I have submitted this problem on 5th October, but I have received no reply
and it seems to have been removed from your system.

A change has been made whereby CUPS now appends %%EndDocument and %%EOF to
the stream which is to be sent to the printer.  This will be fine in most
situations, but will present a problem if the PostScript program is using
the "readline" operator to process the remainder of the file as part of
its normal operation, introducing unwanted text into the output document.

I have attached an example document which demonstrates the problem.  When
it is run from Linux, it gets the unwanted text printed at the bottom.  If
I send the same document to the same printer from a Solaris box, the
document prints correctly.

I have downloaded various versions of CUPS, and the problem started with
1.2.0.  It was not present in the version of CUPS that was distributed
with Fedora FC5.  I have been forced to revert to 1.1.23 to avoid my
output being corrupted.

This is hurting me particularly because I regularly use a PostScript
program Qs which processes text in this way.  I have a community of users
for this software, and if the problem is not fixed, I will have to let
this community know that they will need to revert to 1.1.23 when they
install new versions of Linux.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2054
Version: 1.2-current