[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1956: Can't reprint a print job - it is stuck in the print queue as "pending" forever

Patrick plax62955 at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 4 17:56:37 PDT 2006

[STR New]

Is the following a programming "bug" on CUPS 1.2.3 ? Will it be fixed on
CUPS 1.3?

Please read:

The PreserveJobFiles has been flagged "Yes" in the cupsd.config on
/etc/cups to retain print jobs after they were printed.

Now on the CUPS Web page (127.0.0.1:631), a completed print job is chosen
to be printed again.

However, once the "Restart Job" button is pressed on the Web menu (done by
jobs.cgi??), the screen shows "Job: xyz has been restarted", but actually
the job does not re-print... the restarted print job file gets stuck in
the print queue which shows the job is pending forever and it never gets
released to the printer.

How all other print jobs print perfectly except for the restarted print
jobs (i.e. those jobs that have been printed at least once). All restarted
print jobs are "skipped" by CUPS and never get printed but the print jobs
are shown as "Pending" the CUPS Web menu display.

It seems to me: all re-started print jobs cannot be printed even though
they have been thrown back into the print queue for re-printing and there
are no other "new" print jobs on the print queue.

My remedy: The restarted print job that is pending on the print queue can
only be printed out again when cupsd demon is restarted.

For comparison, I used CUPS v1.1.2 before, the print jobs reprint function
worked perfectly. Once I upgraded to v1.2.3, the reprint function has not
worked correctly ever since. I do not how to fix it...

Another minor thing is:

The CUPS Web interface shows the no. of pages of a print job which has
been reprinted x number of times is equal to: x times the original no. of
pages of the print job (when it was FIRST printed).

So the no. of pages of the print job get multiplied by how many times the
print job was re-printed. i.e. If the print job is 10 pages, if it is
re-printed 50 times, the CUPS will show that print job has 500 pages! I
don't know if it is a bug or just a new way to show a print job that has
been in fact reprinted many times.

I use the following to install and run CUPS 1.2.3:

OS Platform: Mac OS X 10.4.7 Machine: iMac G3 Printer: HP OfficeJet 4110
Connection: USB 1.1 Occurrence: Repeatable

Request: Can you fix the above two "bugs"?

Thanks for reading!