[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1970: lpoptions unable to set a basic printer setting

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Sep 8 17:35:57 PDT 2006

Ryan Lovett <bugs at spacecoaster.org> wrote (Friday 08 September 2006 23:39):

> [STR New]

Please ask for help in the "General" forum first -- this is not a bug
report.

> I'm trying set the default behavior of a spool to be duplex. If I run
>
>   # lpoptions -d pr1 -l
>
> I see, among other things,
>
>   Duplex/2-Sided Printing: *None DuplexNoTumble DuplexTumble

In occurrences of "a/b c d: e f *g h i":

  "a"            - is the (internally used) option name used by the
                   system, and required on the commandline;
  "b c d"        - is the (user visible) "translated" option
                   (displayed by GUI print dialogs, like KDE's
                   'kprinter', or 'xpp' or 'gtklp'
  e, f, g, h, i  - selectable values for the options; the one
                   currently used default one is denoted with an
                   asterisk ('*').

> I tried:
>
>   # lpoptions -o Duplex/2-Sided\ Printing=DuplexNoTumble

That's not quite right. Try

   lpoptions -p pr1 -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble

to set your impersonated user's default options into $HOME/.lpoptions
for printer "pr1". Use (as root!).

   lpadmin -p pr1 -o Duplex=DuplexNoTumble

to set systemwide defaults for printer "pr1" into /etc/cups/lpoptions.
Use

   lpr -p pr1 -o Duplex=DuplexTumble /path/to/printfile
   lp -d pr1 -o Duplex=DuplexTumble /path/to/printfile

to print a job with a Duplex setting that deviates from the default
option setup. "lp -o something" overrides any other settings which
may or may not be stored in $HOME/.lpoptions or /etc/cups/lpoptions.
A user's $HOME/.lpoptions setting overrides the systemwide default in
/etc/cups/lpoptions.

Cheers,
Kurt