Unauthorized even for root

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Sep 24 11:02:38 PDT 2006

tong wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I saw "Unauthorized" in /var/log/cups/error_log, when the LogLevel is warn,
>>> if I enable/disable the printer even by root:
>>>
>>>  E [23/Sep/2006:21:26:55 +0200] Pause-Printer: Unauthorized
>>>  E [23/Sep/2006:21:28:03 +0200] Resume-Printer: Unauthorized
>>>
>>> Is this normal?
>> What version of CUPS are you using?
>
> Here is the list of my packages installed:
>
>         ii cupsys_1.2.3-1

OK, you'll need to test a non-patched version of CUPS - I would guess
you are running into a Debian-induced bug.

> BTW, I'd hope that you'd deal with this more serious problem first (which I do not know if it is a bug or not...)
>
> http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php?s10379+gcups.general+v10386+T0

It is impossible to say with the information you've provided.  You
should definitely turn debugging on so that the error_log file
provides some useful information (like "unable to open USB device"
or something similar) which will probably point to a permissions or
packaging problem.