about poppler

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Sep 25 11:29:06 PDT 2006

Franz Pfoertsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what is the difference between the pdftops from xpdf and poppler?

poppler is a fork of Xpdf focused on producing a common PDF rendering
library.  It is functionally equivalent to Xpdf for PS output.

The pdftops included with CUPS is also a fork of the Xpdf version,
and has some differences in the PSOutputDevice class and support for
page selection (something that is missing from both poppler and
Xpdf).

> Which flavour will be used in the long term?

Ideally we'd like to use poppler, as that works best for the Linux
distros (one library to patch vs. poppler + CUPS).  However, we need
to get the CUPS changes to Xpdf merged into poppler for this to
happen.  There may also be additional changes to poppler to make it
compatible with the same platforms that CUPS supports.

That said, it is unlikely we'll make the switch to poppler any sooner
than CUPS 1.4.