[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1995: Locale setting might cause filters toproduce invalid PostScript

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Fri Sep 29 06:10:44 PDT 2006

Thorsten Vitt wrote:
> [STR New]
>
> German locale settings use a , instead of a . as decimal sign. When
> submitting a print job using lp in a German locale (e.g.
> LANG=de_DE.UTF-8), the filters (at least pdftops and the filter rotating
> pages for Cups' landscape option) use localized numbers in the PostScript
> output, which of course violates the PostScript spec (and causes the print
> jobs to fail at either GhostScript or the PostScript printer).
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1995
> Version: 1.2.0

A workaround to all locale quirks introduced by any scripting
language (be it Perl, Python, or whatever) is
to insert
	LANG=C; export LANG
into the CUPS startup script (usually in /etc/init.d
or /etc/rc.d/init.d).

It is a common bug with lots of applecations that have been
localized afterwards (not thought of this at design time) that
they fail to stick to the PostScript spec then.

I found that bug even in some version af acroread (!).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung