JobSheets Problem: no banner or no job

Kenneth Moyle moylek at mcmaster.ca
Thu Apr 5 14:34:13 PDT 2007

I've moved my print services from a Mandrake 10.1 (cups-1.1.23) system to a Mandriva 2007.0 (cups-1.2.4) system.  The problem in a nutshell: remote clients can print banners or jobs but not both.

All clients print via classes on this server via ipp or smb+cups; all classes comprise local printes; all printers connect to remote devices via socket:// connections.

On the former system, I had "JobSheets standard none" for all classes and printers.  I would reliably get a banner page before each job.

On the latter system:

If I have "standard none" for classes and "none none" for printers, I get a banner but no job

If I have "standard none" for printers and "none none" for classes, I get a job with no banner

If I have "standard none" for both printers and classes, I get a banner but no printer

In any of these three cases, I get a banner and a job if I print locally (provided I'm printing to a printer of class which has "standard none").

I have two questions:
1) should it be sufficient to just have "JobSheets standard none" in classes.conf to get a banner for any member printer?
2) is this somehow not a bug but a feature I don't understand?

---
 Kenneth C. Moyle
 -> Analyst, Research & High-Performance Computing Support
 -> moylek at mcmaster.ca  -  (905) 525-9140 x26872
 -> http://newman.mcmaster.ca/~moylek