Policy API

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sun Apr 8 07:44:34 PDT 2007

Chris Rivera wrote:
> Howdy folks.
>
> The policy layer in 1.2 is pretty nice, but I have a few questions.
> Is there a simple way to determine if a given user has permission to
> perform a given action with a given policy?

No.  You can only get authentication requirements by trying a
request.  This is a side-effect of IPP using HTTP for its transport,
but it also limits the amount of security information that is
exposed at any given time, which has its advantages...

> Also, is there another way of adding a new policy other than editing
> cupsd.conf?  It would be nice if there was an /etc/cups/policy.d
> where policy information could be placed.

No, although you *could* technically use Include directives to
include a policy.conf file from cupsd.conf.  The kicker is that when
you make policy changes you'll force a full restart of the server
rather than a partial one.