[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2339: CUPS trashes permissions in OS X 10.4.x

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Apr 10 11:08:48 PDT 2007

[STR Closed w/o Resolution]

First, the "fix permissions" stuff comes from the Mac OS X 10.4.x manifest,
which is for CUPS 1.1.x.  The old permissions WILL NOT WORK with CUPS 1.2,
and the permission changes can effectively break IPP and LPD network
printing, as well as breaking the digest password support (which isn't
used on Mac OS X by default...)

No, the password problems are completely unrelated to these permissions,
but instead to account migration problems you get when upgrading from
earlier versions of OS X (wrong group membership) or the (known) issue
with Apple's CUPS not being linked to PAM on Mac OS X 10.3.x.

We don't change the permission of /Library in our installer; in fact, we
don't even install anything there, but to /System/Library.

In any case, the CUPS binaries on cups.org come with ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT
OR WARRANTY.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2339
Version: 1.2-current
Fix Version: None