[cups.development] cups ppd_file_t binary compatibility

Hidetomo Katsura Hidetomo.Katsura at efi.com
Wed Apr 25 21:01:45 PDT 2007

> Not at all likely since all of the APIs allocate the structure for
> the caller.

right, for a ppd_file_t, i guess it is not at all likely.

> Right, I unfortunately implemented it with an array of structures
> instead of an array of pointers.  We're stuck with it, unfortunately,
> until CUPS 2.0 (which is a very long way off...)

that's alright. an array has its advantages.

> Already discouraged in that the only way to initialize a ppd_file_t
> structure is to call one of the ppdOpen functions which allocates
> it...

right, ppd_file_t is probably safe. the real discouragement is needed for
iteration of consts, options, choices, and others as an array. cups clients
should only iterate using cups APIs for a better binary compatibility. i
guess that's why you added ppdFirstOption/ppdNextOption which cups 1.1
doesn't have. thanks!

katsura