[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2493: The PPD attribute DefaultOutputOrder should be automatically mapped to the outputorder-default printer option when creating a printer

Prindeville philipp at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Aug 24 15:51:36 PDT 2007

When lpadmin -p <printer> -P <ppdfile> grovels through a printer
description file, it should auto-detect the attribute "DefaultOutputOrder"
and convert this into the printer option "outputorder-default".

That way, clients won't need to specify this option when sending jobs...
and jobs sent to a printer pool of mixed face-up and face-down printers
will always print the pages in the correct order.

I note that most PPD files on my system (fc6) don't include the
DefaultOutputOrder attribute (alas), and only one of them specifies it as
"reverse":

HP_Color_LaserJet_8550

That is, there were 1610 printers described on my system; 1573 had no
DefaultOutputOrder attribute; 27 did; of those 27, only one had "reverse"
instead of "normal".

Clearly, to be useful, the DefaultOutputOrder will need to become
ubiquitous.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2493
Version:  -feature