[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2614: Web interface cannot modify rawipp:queue

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:34:58 PST 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> This OK for broadcasted/browsed queues, but from a usability point of
>> view a user must be able to remove what he has created (the IPP queue)
>> with the same program with which he has created it.
>
> In the bug, Tim created the printer with lpadmin.

This printer can as well be created with the web interface. One only
needs to enter the correct IPP URI.

> At best this could be considered a feature request, but given how the
> current URI-rewriting code works it would be difficult to change the
> current behavior without breaking things, and we spent a lot of time
> making sure that the current functionality worked reliably.

CUPS should not only have the attribute local/remote printer but also
local/remote driver. A queue automatically created by a remote broadcast
is "remote printer"/"remote driver", a queue manually created as a raw
queue pointing to a remote CUPS queue via IPP is "local printer"/"remote
driver", a queue pointing to a local or network printer, set up with a
PPD is "local printer"/"local driver".

    Till