[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2614: Web interface cannot modify rawipp:queue

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Dec 4 03:10:32 PST 2007

Hello,

On Dec 3 14:10 Michael R Sweet wrote (shortened):
> Till Kamppeter wrote:
> > CUPS should not only have the attribute local/remote printer but also
> > local/remote driver. A queue automatically created by a remote broadcast
> > is "remote printer"/"remote driver", a queue manually created as a raw
> > queue pointing to a remote CUPS queue via IPP is "local printer"/"remote
> > driver", a queue pointing to a local or network printer, set up with a
> > PPD is "local printer"/"local driver".
>
> There is a "CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED" attribute that could be used for
> this, but we'd still have to somehow update the IPP->CGI mapping to
> distinguish between discovered/auto-created and regular print queues.

systemv/lpstat.c uses CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE to distinguish between
its output "Connection: remote" and "Connection: direct".

I thought CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE is the right attribute to determine
if the configuration of a destination exists on the local host
or on a remote host.

Or do I misunderstand something and CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED
is the right attribute for this?

http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2384
reads
"The final patch adds a new printer-type bit (CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED)
 so it is possible to differentiate between user-created and
 automatically-created queues."

I am puzzled.
Could you describe the exact meaning of CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE
versus CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED in more detail (preferaby with
an example for each of the four possible combinations) please?

In the end a printer setup tool needs to determine reliably
on which host the configuration of a destination is stored
so that it can do the right "lpadmin -h <host> ..."
to modify (or delete) it.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex