[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2614: Web interface cannot modify rawipp:queue

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Dec 19 17:44:26 PST 2007

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Dec 3 14:10 Michael R Sweet wrote (shortened):
>> Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>> CUPS should not only have the attribute local/remote printer but also
>>> local/remote driver. A queue automatically created by a remote broadcast
>>> is "remote printer"/"remote driver", a queue manually created as a raw
>>> queue pointing to a remote CUPS queue via IPP is "local printer"/"remote
>>> driver", a queue pointing to a local or network printer, set up with a
>>> PPD is "local printer"/"local driver".
>> There is a "CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED" attribute that could be used for
>> this, but we'd still have to somehow update the IPP->CGI mapping to
>> distinguish between discovered/auto-created and regular print queues.
>
> systemv/lpstat.c uses CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE to distinguish between
> its output "Connection: remote" and "Connection: direct".
>
> I thought CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE is the right attribute to determine
> if the configuration of a destination exists on the local host
> or on a remote host.
>
> Or do I misunderstand something and CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED
> is the right attribute for this?

Support for "hard-wired" remote printers has muddied the waters
a bit.  CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE means that the printer is hosted on
a remote system.  CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED means that cupsd added
the printer for the user - if both bits are set, then the queue
is a traditional CUPS browsing remote printer.  If
CUPS_PRINTER_DISCOVERED is not set, then the queue is locally
managed but ultimately printed by another server.

Here is a quick table:

     Type                   REMOTE  DISCOVERED
     Local printer          No      No
     CUPS-browsing printer  Yes     Yes
     Raw IPP queue          Yes     No
     Bonjour queue          Yes     No

The last two types are "hard-wired" remote printers.  The raw
IPP queue points to the server at ipp://server/printers/printer.
The Bonjour queue has a local copy of the server's PPD with any
filters replaced with null (-) filters for all of the usual
formats.