cupsd crash

Andrea Lorenz lorenz at rz.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Feb 2 03:58:09 PST 2007

Hello,

long time ago we have set up our cups environment. It consists of two cupsd server and  many cups clients under differnt operating systems.
The cupsd servers run under linux. They brodcast the printer table to the clients. On th client the printer queues from server one and two are merged together to an implicit class.
Since we have updated the cupsd server and some of the clients to cups 1.2.7 the cupsd daeom on the client site often crashes.
In the error log I can find the error message
cupsdSetPrinterAttrs: Unable to get printer context

sometimes I can find on the client site some non configured printers befor the cupsd crashes. The printers have e.g. the name of a user, a single letter or some unprintable characters.

printer xÕO is idle.  enabled since Fri Feb  2 11:46:29 2007

Andrea