[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2231: Automatized button generation

philippe philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr
Sat Feb 3 15:47:52 PST 2007

Hi all,

Answering to my comments when I submitted my french translation,
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2221, Michael Sweet told ImageMagick was not
powerful enough to allow automatic generation of CUPS buttons from the
command line.

I was so surprised that I started preliminary steps... and quickly went
through the end, or almost.
There are still some little things to fix, such as the font and the text
size which seem not to be exactly the ones used by the GIMP scripts, but
it should be easy to change. Moreover, the text is not always at the same
level in the button: it depends on letters such as 'p,g,...' and
'É,L,...'. I could fix it quite easily once font and size are chosen.

But I do not want to spend more time on that little program if it is not
to be used by CUPS programmers.
I have added a 'scripts' directory in 'doc/images' (where I have also
moved the *.scm to), and 3 new files:
cups-1.2.7/doc/images/scripts/
cups-1.2.7/doc/images/scripts/bg-px.gif
cups-1.2.7/doc/images/scripts/button-list.txt
cups-1.2.7/doc/images/scripts/generate_buttons.sh

bg-px.gif is a 1x1 image, useful because I did not find a way to generate
an image from scratch with convert.
button-list.txt is a file that lists buttons finename, color and text.
It is the inupt for generate_buttons.sh which is a shell script I have
commented - hopefully - enough.

Hoping you will appreciate my job...

Philippe