[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2241: Solaris /usr/ucb/lpr overrides banner setting

Ryan Lovett bugs at spacecoaster.org
Wed Feb 14 11:02:45 PST 2007

Running "/usr/ucb/lpr filename" on a Solaris client causes cupsd running on
a Solaris server to include the "standard" banner page, regardless of the
"JobSheets none none" settings in printers.conf. The error.log contains
the entries:

        Adding start banner page "standard" to job NNN.

Running "/usr/ucb/lpr -h filename" suppresses the banner:

        Adding start banner page "none" to job NNN.
        Adding end banner page "none" to job NNN.

With "/usr/ucb/lpr", the /var/spool/print/cfA* file was:
  Hmy.client.edu
  Pryan
  J/home/ryan/test.ps
  Cmy.client.edu
  Lryan
  fdfA177my.client.edu
  UdfA177my.client.edu
  N/home/ryan/test.ps

With "/usr/ucb/lpr -h", the /var/spool/print/cfA* file was:
  Hmy.client.edu
  Pryan
  fdfA178my.client.edu
  UdfA178my.client.edu
  N/home/ryan/test.ps

Once I saw that, by default, /usr/ucb/lpr set the print class, I tried
"/usr/ucb/lpr -Cfoo", and that also caused the generation of a banner
page.

The print server is using cups-lpd to service the Solaris clients.

/usr/bin/lpr (from CUPS) on Linux does the right thing.

This is new behavior for us; with 1.1.23 there was no banner page with
"/usr/ucb/lpr" regardless of "-h".