[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2245: USB Printing Broken on Mac OS X 10.4.8 with CUPS 1.2.8

Rob Meredith Rob.Meredith at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:41:20 PST 2007

I'm running Mac OS 10.4.8 on a Powerbook G4 and recently downloaded and
executed the .dmg install package for CUPS 1.2.8.  I've had no problem
printing with CUPS 1.1 (as shipped with OSX), and regularly print to both
a USB connected HP Laserjet 1200 and other network printers.

After installing 1.2.8 I've run into a couple of problems:

1) The CUPS web interface fails to work.  http://localhost:631 doesn't
load (Firefox error: try again).  I can get the web interface going after
killall cupsd at the command line and running cupsd manually.  This seems
to be a port conflict, as I changed the port to 6310 in cupsd.conf, and a
restart seems to work (but not verified, only done this once).

2) USB printing is dead.  Cannot print a thing.  I can delete and add
printers.  The web interface sees my HP Laserjet 1200 under 'Manage
Server', or, if I add a printer manually, sees HP Laserjet 1200 on USB as
a device.  I can configure print settings, etc., manage jobs, but printing
doesn't work at all - either test pages from the web interface, or
documents printed via the print menu in an app in OSX.  Printer status
message says "Looking for 'HP LaserJet 1200'".  Printing via lpd, though,
to a networked HP printer (different model) works like a charm.  I haven't
tested other protocols, and don't have the ability to test parallel or
other connection types.

3) Nothing particularly enlightening shows up in the logs, even with debug
turned on.

4) Authentication doesn't work.  The username/password I was using with
CUPS 1.1 (my mac OS administrator username/password) doesn't let me delete
or administer printers.  Turning off authentication (AuthType None) in
cupsd.conf seemed to work, but I'm still intermittently prompted / fail
authentication.

Happy to post my log files, if you think that will help, but there are no
error messages (only D and I type log messages), and nothing that sheds
any light, at least to my eyes.