[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2257: cups6.ppd is missing in cups-windows-6.0-1.i386.rpm

Bjoern Voigt bjoern at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 23 05:53:45 PST 2007

Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> This file is NOT necessary and is only provided for testing purposes - you
> basically use it to add a printer on Windows without using cupsaddsmb, but
> the RPM is only provided to use with cupsaddsmb on Linux.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2257
> Version: Web Site
> Fix Version: Will Not Fix

After running "cupsaddsmb -v -a -U root -h mysambahost" and clicking on
my printer icon (using Windows XP home, German edition) I get the error
message attached to this mail.

I translate this error message:

    "The file 'CUPS6.PPD' from (unknown) is needed. Please give the path
    to the file and then click 'OK'. Copy files from: "c:\windows"."

Why does my Windows ask for this file, if it's not necessary? Should
someone (with permissions) reopen this bug?

Regards,
Björn