[cups.bugs] No print of PDF file from AR

Hin-Tak Leung hintak_leung at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 15:23:49 PST 2007

alupu at verizon.net wrote:
<snipped>
> 1.  Unlike any other (type) file and application that I know of it can
> "break" the CUPS at this day and age.

as I said, the standard pdf viewer on linux is xpdf/libpoppler-based, which is
shipped with most linux box without the need of a separate download, unlike
Adobe Acrobat reader.

> 2.  It prints from AR 7.0.5 in Windows (same physical system).  I cannot
> imagine that as far as the "core" PDF processing logic, Adobe provides
> *nix'es a "lite" Reader version that might lead to this problem.

Believe it or not, what you are saying is exactly the situation: Acrobat Reader
on *nix is a lite version, and does not have the same range of functionality as
the windows version, nor does it behave identically, as you seem to assume.

Get over it: Acrobat Reader for *nix'es is not the same as Acrobat Reader for
Windows.

<snipped>
> 5.  I could attach the file (on request) for your perusal and tests.  I
> haven't been sure if 70-KB or so is proper etiquette here.

File a bug at http://www.cups.org/str.php, and attach the file to the bug
report. Helge said it might be a known bug (which is very likely), but there
is only one way to be sure: attached both the original pdf, and
the print-to-file result to the bug report, and some of us will decide if
it is the same known bug.