[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2202: Add support for the FHS extension in LSB 3.2

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:13:15 PST 2007

As agreed on on the last Printing Summit, there should be standard
directories for printer drivers and PPDs from LSB 3.2 on:

http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-architecture/2006/001512.html

This is essential to make distribution-independent packaging of printer
drivers possible.

To implement this we need a slight modification of CUPS, as otherwise the
precedence rules (section 5) will not be fulfilled.

If we only set links to /usr/share/ppd, /opt/share/ppd, and
/usr/local/share/ppd in the /usr/share/cups/model directory, the PPDs get
searched in the right directories, but they do not get necessarily
searched in the right order.

So CUPS needs to be modified slightly, so that the three locations get
searched in order.

I suggest to add a PPDPath directive to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

PPDPath /usr/local/share/ppd:/opt/share/ppd:/usr/share/ppd

and the scheduler/the cups-driverd searches for PPDs in this order.

This change we need rather quickly, so that Novell and Red Hat can put out
CUPS updates for their enterprise editions. So I would be very grateful if
you could do the change soon and put out a new CUPS 1.2.x release
containing it.

For the locations of the driver code itself no modification of CUPS is
needed, as the filter can be specified with an absolute path in the PPD
file:

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-raster 0
/opt/lib/printdriver/xyz/bin/rastertoxyzscript"

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2202
Version: 1.2-feature