German "umlauts" missing after cups pstops conversion

Helge Bahmann hcb at chaoticmind.net
Mon Jan 22 00:40:49 PST 2007

> >> Either the Debian-supplied testprint.ps is broken, or they have
> >> another patch that is interfering - all of the prolog section is
> >> missing.
> >
> > /usr/share/cups/data/testprint.ps is intact; it is viewable through gv, and it prints perfectly fine through Brother's driver, but it gets mangled this way if I try submitting it through CUPS (e.g. cupsdoprint).
>
> cupsdoprint is *not* a CUPS application.

okay... it happens *regardless* of what application I use to submit the job to CUPS (cupsdoprint does nothing else but submit the job through IPP)

the behaviour is
- submit directly through the filter driver *behind* CUPS: it works fine
- submit through CUPS: it gets mangled horribly

THe only thing I want to understand is how and why it gets mangled and what could influence this process