Konica-Minolta Magicolor 2300W/2400W support

Gary Dale gary at extremeground.com
Thu Jan 25 13:05:39 PST 2007

I've got both of the printers mentioned in the subject line - turned out to be cheaper to get a new printer (2400W) than to get the toner cartridges refilled on my 2300W. The problem is, neither of them work properly with CUPS.

Gerhard Fuernkranz has a driver on sourceforge that does an excellent job except that CUPS doesn't quite cooperate. As long as only one print job is going to the printer, it prints beautifully. However, if you try to print before the previous job completes, it interferes with the job being printed and probably won't print itself.

This problem was intermittent on the 2300W but occurs all or most of the time on the 2400W.

This wouldn't be a big issue except that it occurs when I print multiple copies of the same document - something I frequently do.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I upgraded my print server to Debian/Etch which is running CUPS 1.2.7. This doesn't seem to have helped and in fact has made printing to the 2400W very slow (15 -20 minutes to get the first page out).

I understand from my e-mails with Gerhard that the issue is a non-standard handshaking/status reporting on the USB port with the Konica-Minolta magicolor printers. I would like to get this working properly and have two functioning Konica-Minolta printers to work with. Is there any way we can work together to get this issue resolved? After all, it seems we're withing "spitting distance" of having this functioning!