German "umlauts" missing after cups pstops conversion

Helge Bahmann hcb at chaoticmind.net
Sun Jan 28 02:16:34 PST 2007

> Helge Bahmann wrote:
> > THe only thing I want to understand is how and why it gets mangled and what could influence this process
>
> Well, if you can test a standard CUPS driver (like laserjet.ppd),
> that will eliminate driver-specific interactions.  Also, testing
> against the standard CUPS distribution (and not the distro-supplied
> patched version) will eliminate potential distro-induced bugs.

Had some time to investigate further... it works fine with the CUPS-provided drivers, but it fails with the PPD supplied by the printer manufacturer:

http://www.chaoticmind.net/~hcb/cupsbug/DCP110C.ppd

I traced the problem down to /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops. If the program is called with the environment variable PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/DCP110C.ppd it produces mangled postscript (either completely invalid, or missing umlauts); if I call it with e.g. laserjet.ppd it works correctly

So for some reason cups pstops filter does not like the PPD, however I don't understand what's wrong with it -- what would I need to change to make it acceptable for CUPS? Or maybe just some hint how I could start tracing the problem further down

Best regards and thanks so far