[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2221: French translation for CUPS 1.2.7

philippe philippe.combes at ens-lyon.fr
Wed Jan 31 05:22:34 PST 2007

Please find attached the fr.tar.gz file as requested in the translation
guide.
.. I did not translate the messages involved (as far as I understood) in
the development tests, as they are expected to be read by developers only.
.. I have added a conf/cupsd_fr.conf file, which is cupsd.conf with french
comments (but I think there is nothing ready to take it into account)
.. I have added config-scripts/cups-defaults.m4 too, because I have added
"fr" into the default language list (this is the only change)

Some extra comments if you allow me.

I was wondering why nobody had done that translation so far. I understood
when I saw how boring it was. Yes, you made many efforts to make it as
easy as possible, but I think there are still some possible improvements.
I think there must be a way to use convert (from imagemagick) to generate
buttons with a simple SHELL script, whose entry would be a plain text file
with every line composed as follows:
name_of_image.gif text of the button
The translation time for the buttons would be greatly shortened.

Then, I was amazed to see how many messages there were in cups.pot.
Many are duplicated, except for the program name before the ':' or for the
end \n. Some are very alike and would require a uniform way of telling
things (e.g. for program options errors...)
And finally, I have the feeling some of them are used nowhere.
I think cleaning cups.pot and regrouping messages would be a key enabler
for other languages to be supported.

Finally, I found a bug in locale/translate.c due to Google that changed
the HTML output of its translation tool. I have submitted a work-around to
cups.development forum ("Re: French translation - HELP")
Ayway, I must confess that this tool was quite useless for the french
translation. As the context of messages is often useful for a good
translation, it was easier to start from the cups.pot directly, where the
messages are regrouped into logical sets, while the reorganization of the
messages by the translate tool looses the context of the messages...

Hoping you agree...

After all these criticisms, I must tell I was amazed by the dynamicity of
the support for locales. I run Debian unstable on a x86 PC. I have the
CUPS package installed, of course, and I only had to copy my cups_fr.po,
my templates and buttons into the right places to have my web interface
all in French. It is _really_ great, since I like to avoid using
home-compiled packages on my distros...
Thanks a lot !

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2221
Version:  -feature