[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2431: Cannot print text file starting with two capital leters MM.

Wolfhard Reimer wolfhard_reimer at yahoo.de
Wed Jul 4 19:46:19 PDT 2007

Operating system: Linux Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS for amd64
Printer: Canon BJC-6100 on USB2 port
Printer driver: TurboPrint 1.95-2 (http://www.turboprint.de/)
First, I am German, therefore excuse my bad English.
Second, I am a newbie to Linux, therefore excuse my lack of knowledge
about the system.
Situation: I was not happy with the print output from various
applications. The colours are always too light. So, I decided to
install the TurboPrint driver mentioned on a Canon download side
(http://support.canon.de/produkte/drucker/bjc6100/bjc6100_sw.htm).
After some trials and errors, I completed the installation and the
print output is similar to the one I have achieved under my old
WIN 98 system.
Error description:
I use the lp command at the command prompt to print a text file,
e.g. "lp file". I am able to print any text file with the exception
of text files, which start with two capital letters MM. In this case,
I receive in the CUP web interface the following message for the
printer:
tp0 (Standarddrucker) "/usr/lib/cups/filter/imagetops failed"
The CUPS error log shows (example):
PID 13377 (/usr/lib/cups/filter/imagetops) stopped with status 1!
[Job 83] Unable to open image file for printing!
In addition to this problem, I am not able to administer the printer
queue via the CUP web interface. I do not know, which user and password
I have to specify. Therefore, I am currently using "sudo cancel -a"
in a terminal to clear the printer queue.
Please investigate the described problem!
Sincerely, Wolfhard Reimer

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2431
Version: 1.2-current