[cups.development] [RFE] STR #2428: CUPS needs a way to easily query policy permissions

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Jul 5 00:27:35 PDT 2007

Hello,

On Jul 4 22:57 Michael Sweet wrote:

> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> The thing to do is read the cupsd.conf file.  We are not interested in
> adding another IPP extension just for this...
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2428
> Version:  -feature
> Fix Version: Will Not Fix

I do not understand how "read the cupsd.conf file" should work
when the printer setup tool process runs under a user who has
no read permissions for cupsd.conf (but according to the policy
the user may have full printer admin permissions).

I do not understand how "read the cupsd.conf file" should work
when the printer setup tool runs on a remote machine.

The same problem is when one uses "lpadmin -h remote-cups-server".

How does the CUPS web interface solve this problem?
Does it let the user click around and select whatever he likes
but at the end when the queue should actually be changed
it informs the user about a "permission denied"?

Furthermore "read the cupsd.conf file" introduces a dependency
that whatever printer setup tool applications depend on the exact
format of the cupsd.conf file.
A cupsd.conf format change may break all those printer setup
tools so that they abort with "failed to parse cupsd.conf".

Finally "read the cupsd.conf file" introduces tons of possible
buggy implementations how to parse all the stuff in cupsd.conf
correctly. Probably each individual printer setup tool implements
its own individual partially faulty way to parse cupsd.conf.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex